I have always thought that making homemade chicken nuggets would be a real chore, but once I learnt how to make them I couldn’t believe how quick and easy it was.
This recipe took about 15 minutes and was so delicious we now make them really often. You can also cook them in batch and freeze them (just bag them up after baking, freeze and then cook in the oven for 12 mins or so until warmed through when you want to eat them).
They are entirely baked so are massively healthier than their deep fried counterparts.
Our toddler is really funny with chicken but she gobbles these right up dipped in tomato ketchup. Serves 4.
- 2/3 chicken breasts
- About 3 slices bread (bread that is going a bit dry / stale works best). You could also use ready made breadcrumbs if you didn’t want to make your own.
- 2 eggs
- Sprinkling of mixed herbs
- 4 heaped tablespoons flour
1. Preheat the oven to 190* (fan 180*) and get a baking tray out.
2. Cut the chicken into the shapes / sizes you want (you can do strips, goujons, nuggets or make them really small like popcorn chicken).
3. Whizz the bread in a food processor or blender for a few seconds until it becomes breadcrumbs. Add some salt and pepper and a sprinkling of mixed herbs.
4. Put the flour in one bowl, the egg in another and the herby breadcrumbs in another.
5. Dip the chicken into the flour, the egg and then finally coat in the breadcrumbs.
6. Place the chicken onto the baking tray and repeat for all the other chicken pieces. Spray or drizzle really lightly with a bit of oil (this is optional but does make them go lovely and golden)
7. Bake for approx 12-18 minutes or until the nuggets are nicely golden. Cut into one strip to check the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
8. Enjoy! We love these served with chips / potato wedges and coleslaw, on top of a salad or in tortilla wraps.
- Add some cajun spice, chilli powder, or cayenne pepper instead of the mixed herbs for spicy chicken.
- Add some lemon zest and lots of black pepper for lemon and black pepper goujons.
- Add some grated parmesan to the breadcrumbs.